Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Tributes

Since the last member of my family to serve in any branch of the military was a great-great-uncle who served during the Civil War and lived a thousand miles from here, I could not pay my respects to him this weekend.  I am sure there are a lot of people who have the same problem - they would like to pay their respects to family members but the cemetery is just too far away.  That is why I volunteer to upload photos on FindAGrave http://www.findagrave.com/.  This weekend I uploaded the photos of not just soldiers but their families as well so people in other areas can see what the tombstones look like.  I also volunteer to take care of a small private cemetery where a Revolutionary War vet and his family are buried.  In West Virginia, where some of my ancestors are buried, strangers will put flowers on graves all year round and it is comforting to know that they are being cared for since the family now lives so far away.   I guess my point is that if you help take care of someone else's family here or upload a photo to a site like FindAGrave, maybe someone in another state is doing the same for your family there.

No comments:

Post a Comment